All work and no play make Juan, John, Yuan, Johannes & all kids dull children. This holds true for their parents as well. To stay healthy and vital, Mom and Dad must schedule time for relaxing and recreation too. One of the best ways to maintain the family’s overall physical, emotional, and psychological health is to spend playtime together.
The most pleasant way to spend time with our children is to get into activities we enjoy doing together. Games and fun activities that engage us physically and socially are best since they offset the mostly mental activities we do in school and at work. Depending on where you live and what you prefer to do, here are some suggestions:
- Go to the beach and build sand castles, collect rocks or shells.
- Take a walk through the park and identify plant, butterfly, or birds. Climbing trees can be fun too.
- Go camping. Teach your child how to set up a tent, how to build a fire, or how to cook.
- If you prefer to stay home, putter around in the garden and make mud pies. Find a stick and draw anything that catches your fancy with the ground as your canvass. This is a good way of getting to know your child’s dreams and aspirations.
- Teach your child the outdoor games you played when you were his/her age.
Always bring a camera and take pictures. Later, you can print these out and document your shared memories in a scrapbook. It is such experiences that enrich our lives and our relationships.