At this point in your pregnancy, you've probably gotten used to the changes in your body during the first trimester and it is time now to pamper yourself. So, experience more relaxation by treating yourself to a nice trip, because it's just as important to have some me time where you can regain some sense of normalcy and serenity!
Plan it at the right time
The second trimester may just be the right time for a vacation. Your tummy has not grown too big yet and your physical and emotional health is better, so it will be a fun trip. Avoid far locations and exhausting activities
Keep your adventurous spirit in check and hold the urge to conquer rough, rugged and exotic places. Stick to places that will not exhaust you physically instead. Choose a peaceful and relaxing destination
A babymoon is the perfect time for you to unwind. A less crowded destination such as the beach or highland will be an ideal location for you to chill and relax. Prepare yourself for the transportation
Have you decided how you will go to your destination? Whichever mode of transportation that you have chosen, moms and dads should be well prepared. Here are some tips you may consider:
- If you decide to go on a train ride:
- Make sure you have a comfortable seat during the trip. If possible, buy an executive ticket with a larger and more comfortable seat.
- Make sure your seat is located near a lavatory for convenience access.
- Do not carry heavy items. Leave the luggage or bulky items to dad or hire a porter to handle them for you.
- Get a cushion or blanket ready for long journeys, so you can rest comfortably in the train.
- To prevent blood clots from prolonged sitting, stand up and move around every hour.
- Bring your own snacks, like sliced fruits and vegetables, as well as plenty of water.
- If you are taking a flight:
- Check the airline regulations prior to purchasing the ticket. Every airline has different set of rules for pregnant passengers.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing that lets you to move around freely.
- Get some extra plastic bags ready in case you feel nauseas during the flight.
- Bring your own snacks like sliced fruits and vegetables in case you do not fancy the inflight menu.
- Don't worry when you have to go through the screening machine at the airport. The machine doesn't use x-ray and is safe for your child.
- Choose a seat near a lavatory.
- Exercise your hands and legs (by rotating your ankles, wrists and fingers) every 15 minutes to prevent cramps and blood clots.
- If you are going on a road trip:
- If possible, do not drive the car and let your hubby do it during the trip. In the event that you have to drive, allow at least 25 cm of space between the steering wheel and your tummy.
- Wear your seat belt properly by slinging the top strap from your shoulder down to the side of your tummy. Let the other strap secure the bottom of your tummy and hip. Do not let the strap rest right on your tummy as sudden jolts may harm to you and your child.
- Take a break every 2 hours and stretch your muscles to prevent cramps and blood clogs.
- Sit in the most comfortable position (straighten your legs if possible) and bring a cushion to support your back and rest on during the trip.
Before you leave, take down the telephone number and address of the nearest clinics and hospitals. This way, you will be prepared for any emergency during your holiday.
Discuss your holiday plan with your gynaecologist
After you've found the right location and time, consult your gynaecologist to get information on what to avoid and do during the holiday. Bring a copy of your medical records just in case you have to be admitted to a hospital. Show your bump!
When you check-in at the hotel, do not feel shy about showing off your baby bump. You'll never know – the hotel may offer special services and programmes for pregnant women! And, of course, we don't have to tell you to capture the scenic places and compile them into a photo diary! But be sure to get good shots of your bump too. After all, it's just as important as the sights you'll see on this trip!